Cars have many functions which help to operate them safely. As a car owner, driving is not the only thing you need to know. It would help if you also focused on the various functions of the car and how they work. Today, we’re going to discuss- ‘What does D3 mean in a Car?’ and ‘When do you have to use D3?’
What Does D3 Mean In A Car?
Many people are ignorant about what the D3 gear is supposed to do in their cars. To clear out the doubts in your head, D3 in an auto transmission car that engages the first three gears- P, R, and N. And as you already know, P, R, and N represent park consecutively, reverse, and neutral modes.
Though shifting D3 doesn’t make your car faster, it definitely improves the whole driving experience. You’ll get the optimum driving experience when you drive in D3. But if you don’t know how the D3 gear is supposed to work or when you should use it, go ahead and read the rest of the article.
When Should I Use D3? How D3 Gear Helps The Drivers?
Most car drivers keep the gear in D mode. But we suggest you shift to D3. It is a versatile gearing option for automated cars. Therefore, you can use it in the following situations-
- The D3 gear is perfect especially for city driving. You should use this gear in a busy environment when you have to constantly stop and go. When driving through the crowd or heavy traffic, you will get an elevated driving experience. This mode is best at handling stop-and-drive situations.
- If you want to overtake a car, use the D3 gearing mode. You can instigate a low speed on a sudden note. It’s not only a convenient way to pick up speed, but also a safe driving option for the drivers. However, you shouldn’t do this on the highway.
- It is also helpful when you’re driving downhill. When you’re going downhill, you need to maintain precise slow speed that will hold up the car from running down fast. The D3 gear creates a vacuum in the engine that slows down the car by blocking the airflow. It helps you to achieve engine break that abstains the car from attaining high speed, keeping the car in control.
- The D3 gear is also convenient when you’re driving uphill. Changing the higher gear results in loss of traction when you’re going up. So, when driving uphill, shifting to D3 helps the car from slipping and moving forward. However, on a dangerously high road, shifting to the L gear is better to pass the uphill way.
How To Use D3 Gear In Automatic Cars?
These are the very basic steps that may help you understand how to use the D3 gear in an automated car-
- Start your car and shift to D or drive mode.
- You have to gain enough speed of minimum 30 or 40 km/h before moving to D3 mode.
- As you’ve reached the minimum speed, shift the gear to D3.
- And as you need to slow the car, go back to D mode. So, basically, you need to maintain a specific speed limit to use the D3 gear.
What is d3 in a car? Now you know about D3, meaning in a car. We hope this writing has helped you understand your car functions a little better and get a better driving experience. Have a safe ride!
Read More – Best Mirror Dash Cam